- 4 Philly-Gourmet® Thick & Beefy Patties
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. button mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or cooking sherry
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with a splash of water
- 11" x 17" sheet frozen puff pastry, or 2 smaller sheets, defrosted
Preheat the oven to 475° F. Heat the butter and oil in a small skillet over medium heat. When the butter melts into the oil, add the mushrooms and cook to darken for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the shallots, thyme, rosemary and a pinch of pepper, and cook for another minute. Add the sherry and stir, then remove from heat and let cool.
At the same time you are cooking the mushrooms, you will want to start cooking your patties in a skillet as directed on package. When they are done cooking, place on a plate.
Once your pastry dough is thawed, you will want to roll it slightly on a floured surface and quarter it if you have a large sheet or half it if you have two smaller sheets. This dough is very forgiving, so if you have a tear, you will be able to roll dough back together. Assemble by placing a quarter of the mushroom mixture in the center of the dough, then a sprinkling of cheese and then the patty. Close, sealing with egg wash and cutting off any extra dough. Once closed, place the sealed side bottom down on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet, cut small vents in the tops with a knife and brush evenly with egg wash. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the dough is golden brown and flaky.
This dish is nice served with broccoli and Caesar salad. It’s a fancy restaurant dish on a takeout budget.
Serves 4 but can easily be doubled for larger parties or halved for intimate events.